Article Abstract

Limited energy parametrial resection/dissection during modified laparoscopic nerve-sparing radical hysterectomy

Authors: Dan Zhao, Bin Li, Yating Wang, Shuanghuan Liu, Yanan Zhang, Gongyi Zhang


Objective: The aim of this study was to investigate the feasibility of using ultrasonic scalpel combined with vascular clip in parametrial management, called limited energy parametrial resection/dissection (LEPRD), in laparoscopic nerve plane-sparing radical hysterectomy (NPSRH), a modified nerve-sparing radical hysterectomy (NSRH); and to evaluate its effectiveness in pelvic autonomic nerve preservation.
Methods: From July 2012 to January 2016, 257 consecutive patients with stage IB1 to IIA2 cervical cancer who underwent NPSRH were included in this study. Patients were divided into three cohorts according to the different parametrial resection modality. The clinical, pathological and surgery-related parameters were compared between the three groups. Short- and long-term postoperative bladder functions were evaluated.
Results: LEPRD was attempted in 94 patients, and was successful in 65 (69.1%) patients (LEPRD group). The remaining 29 (30.9%) patients required bipolar coagulation after failure of vascular clipping (combined modality group). Routine bipolar cautery was used in the other 163 patients during the parametrial resection (bipolar group). The blood loss in the LEPRD group was significantly lower than those in the other two groups (P<0.001). The rate of successful Foley removal on postoperative day 7 was significantly higher in the LEPRD group than in the bipolar group (P=0.022). The incidence of chronic voiding dysfunction was significantly lower in the LEPRD group than in the bipolar group (P=0.019).
Conclusions: It is feasible to perform LEPRD in NPSRH for cervical cancers. This kind of limited energy surgical technique is associated with less blood loss, and leads to improved postoperative bladder function.

Keywords: Cervical neoplasms; nerve plane-sparing radical hysterectomy; postoperative bladder function; vascular clip